- Chair/Project Coordinator, California Open Educational Resources Council, a result of SB 1052 and SB 1053 signed in 2012 by Gov. Jerry Brown. Created by the Intersegmental Committee of Academic Senates. 2014-2016. (See Final Report of the Council on creating an intersegmental, state-funded initiative & Research Study on OER Adoption in UC, CSU, CCC)
- Chair, Review Panel for AB 798 with COOL4Ed, to craft RFP, supporting documentation, review panel, distribution of funds, and support for 100 awards ($10,000-$50,000) to CSU and CCC (135 campuses in California) to adopt OER textbooks and lower student textbook costs Fall 2016-Spring 2018. 2016.
- Faculty Mentor, Preparing Future Professors Program. Stanford University. Spring 2017.
- Member, Digital Humanities Council, National Institute for Technology in Liberal Education, 2011-2013.
- Appointed, Committee on Scholarly Editions, Modern Language Association, 2016-2020
- Elected Representative, Executive Committee, Discussion Group on Computer Studies in Language and Literature, Modern Language Association, 2012-2013.*
- Elected Representative, Executive Committee, Discussion Group on Bibliography & Textual Studies, Modern Language Association, 2011-2013.*
- Elected Representative to Delegate Assembly, Division on Methods of Literary Research, Modern Language Association, 2010-2013.
- Advisory Board, The Martha Heasley Cox Center for Steinbeck Studies, SJSU 2006 – 2011.
- Membership Chair & Publicity Liaison, Research Society for Victorian Periodicals, 2007-2009.
- Chair, Selection Committee, Cecilia Konchar Farr Best Feminist Essay Prize, Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association, 2000-2001.
- Tenure & Promotion Dossier (U.S.-based research-focused university, English Dept.)
- Promotion Dossier (Australian-based research-focused university, Communications Dept.)
- External Review for Program Review, English Department, CSU San Marcos
Reviewing Manuscripts/Editorial Board
- Reviewer for Illinois University Press, 2015-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Interactive Technology & Pedagogy, 2011-present
- Editorial Board, The Poetess Archive Journal. 2005- present
- Reviewer & Editorial Board, Studies in Gothic Fiction, 2009-present
- Reviewer for Digital Humanities Conference Proposals, 2010-2013
- Reviewer, Digital Humanities Quarterly, 2006-present
- Reviewer, Digital Studies, 2009-present
- Reviewer for Pickering & Chatto Publishers, 2008.
- Reviewer for Broadview Press, 2007.
- Proposal Reviewer, Pearson Longman Publishers, 2009.
- THATCamp Fellowships, Center for New Media, George Mason University, January 2011.
- American Association of University Women, Review Panel for American Fellowships 2011.
- CUNY Professional Staff Congress & Women’s Studies Grant Applications, 2007-2008.
Service to College & University
- Elected Representative, Search Committee for Dean of College of Humanities & the Arts, 2017.
- Elected Representative, Search Committee for Dean of King (SJSU) Library, 2015-2016.
- Temporary Appointment, Curriculum & Research Committee for University, Fall 2013.
- Elected Representative, Academic Senate, College of Humanities & the Arts, SJSU 2006-2007; 2013-2014.
- Elected Representative, University Library Board, SJSU 2006-2007; 2010-2012; Chair, 2012-2013.
- Chair, Open Access Subcommittee, University Library Board, 2010-2011.
- Appointed Representative for Humanities & the Arts, Open Access Task Force, 2008-2010.
- Invited as Digital Humanities Specialist, National Endowment for the Humanities Grant for Photographic Negative Reference Collection Digitization Project sponsored by Special Collections & Archives, King Library, June 2011.
Service to Department
San Jose State University
Curriculum Committee, English Department, 2005 – present.
Retention, Tenure, and Promotion Committee, English Department, 2016-2017
Composition Committee, English Department, 2009
Graduate Studies Committee, English Department, 2006-2007.
Publicity Committee, English Department, 2006.
Advisory Board, Women’s Studies Certificate Program, CUNY 2001-2005.
Webmaster, Women’s Studies Certificate Program, CUNY 2000-2005.
Website Committee, Ph.D. Program in English, CUNY 2003-2004.
Feminist Studies Group (Co-Chair), Ph.D. Program in English, CUNY 2003-2004.
Fund Raising Committee, Ph.D. Program in English, CUNY 2001-2003.
Media Committee, The Center for the Study of Women and Society, CUNY 2000-2001.
CUNY Focus Group/Discussion for The Evidence in Hand: Report of the Task Force on the Artifact in Library Collections (Appointed Representative for Ph.D. Program in English), Council of Library and Information Resources, March 2001.
New York University
Graduate Student Course Evaluations Committee, English Department, NYU Spring 1999.
*In Spring 2013, after years of funding my own professional memberships and professional travel, I made the financial decision to not renew my membership with the Modern Language Association. Because of this, I am no longer on these important committees. This saddens me because many other faculty teaching in my type of institution also feel the squeeze of no raises for years and are unable to sustain MLA membership or attend the yearly MLA Convention.